Wednesday, October 7, 2009

bible
D30: The Road Ahead

The last six weeks have definitely been a journey. I've made tremendous strides in my photography on the quality side, and now I'm working to translate that to the financial side. I've had the chance to interact with some industry-leaders, and that has made a huge impact on my work.

It's really incredible to think of the technological advances since I first started in digital photography, just over 6 years ago. Point & shoot cameras were quite expensive, and there really wasn't a good place for photographers to come together on the internet.

With pro-level DSLR's becoming affordable to the hobbyist, many people outside of the photographic industry feel that the professional photographer's days are numbered. I could not possibly disagree more; in fact, I think that professional photographers are more important than ever. Sure, the average Joe can go down to his local camera shop and pick up a D300 w/ a kit lens for under $2K, but that doesn't make him a pro. I have a laptop with Microsoft Word, but that DOES NOT make me a novelist.

Too many people see a video of a Photographer taking a picture, and they think "I could do that, it looks easy to me." What people don't see, are the years upon years of work that have honed that photographers skills. Composition, lighting, exposure. These things cannot be mastered overnight. Not to mention the pre-production that goes into so many shoots.

A friend once looked at a photo on my wall and said "I know where that was taken, I could do that EASY!"

I just kept my mouth shut, as I tend to do in situations like that. I didn't feel like explaining the hours upon hours of pre-production that went into that shot. It's sad, but almost humorous, how many people today think that photography is all about the equipment.

Okay, I'm going to step down from my soapbox for the night. Time to sleep.

Manual: Page 1 - Introduction
Appropriate page, especially after my little soapbox rant. Getting to know your equipment is one the most important 1st steps.

"The day you stop learning is the day you fall behind."

Images: Mike Larson - Mike has a very innovative shot that involves throwing his camera UP IN THE AIR! The shots are great, along with an already impressive portfolio. Inspiration achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment