Tuesday, October 6, 2009

photos
D29: The Daunting Task Ahead

About a year ago I decided to take on a project that's very close to my heart:. converting ALL of our family photos from the last 35 years, to digital files. I have a pretty decent setup in my office for reproductions like this, as I've done similar things before on a much smaller scale. Once I completed the initial 500 photo-scans, I quickly realized what was ahead of me. I estimate there are approximately 6,000 photos scattered through boxes upon boxes. Yay me.

On a different note, there is a new movie in the works. "Waiting For Robert Capa" has secured Michael Mann to direct! GET OUT! I can't wait. I'm really interested to see how this project turns out.

In yet another disjointed topic this evening, I figured out what I'm shooting Saturday. As I walked out of my gym this afternoon I noticed a poster hanging on the wall. There is a "rail jam" going on this weekend in the parking lot of one of our local outdoor-sports stores. I'm going to talk with them tomorrow to get more details, and to find out if there are any photographers already planning on shooting. Sounds exciting!

Manual: Page 32 - Digital Vari-Programs
This covered all the little auto-variations that you can shoot with. I've spent so much time shooting in manual, I don't even have an opinion on these modes. Maybe I should play around with them this weekend!

Images: Joe McNally - Another amazing photographer. There's not much more to say.

I read a very interesting article today about the evolution of photography, and video. Just 10 years ago film was the standard, and digital photography was not only expensive, it also had a pretty horrible work-flow. Today, film has become an endangered species and high-end DSLR equipment is becoming more easily accessible every day. The theory is that in just 5 years photography will be hand-in-hand with videography, and those too stubborn to adapt will fall by the wayside. I have even heard people go so far as to say photography's days are numbered.

Personally I don't see the art of photography EVER going away. Will it evolve into something we can't even imagine? Absolutely. I think that one day in the not-to-distant future, you will walk into the average photographer's studio, and the wall will be covered in LARGE digital picture frames. Even more interesting will be the day when we have entire "digital walls", allowing us to not only change the pictures, but the color of the wall.

Who knows if or when this will happen. I'm still waiting on my hover-board from "Back to the Future".

No comments:

Post a Comment