Thursday, October 1, 2009

dum-dum
D24: Saving Me From Myself

I LOVE CANDY! For that very reason I refuse to buy it. Out of sight, out of mind.

Well, almost.

A few weeks ago I bought a bag of Halloween candy for clients & friends that come to visit. The sugary goodness sits in a tall vase on my desk, staring at me whenever I'm working.

Pssst, over here, take one...

One turns into a dozen VERY quickly. I was forced to come up with a solution. See, I like Dum Dums, but not as much as Smarties & Tootsie Rolls. The solution was simple. Rearrange the candy so that the suckers created a punji pit, preventing me from reaching the Smarties. You have to be really hard-up for sugar to dump the entire vase out for some Smarties.

Manual: Page 142 - Customer Setting 5: ISO Auto
I'm personally not a fan of this setting. If I want noise in my images, I will purposely put it there. Again, it's a control thing. Maybe I need counseling. Is anyone else like this?

I had a thought about what to do when we run out of manual pages to read every day. What about choosing a different mode(auto, manual, shutter-priority, etc) and shooting ONLY in that mode for a week? Obviously this wouldn't apply to your professional workload, just for your personal shooting. I'm leaning towards this idea.

Images: Richard Nickel - It's interesting to read about the impact his work continues to have to the preservation of historic landmarks in Chicago, now more than 35 years since his death. Looking through his work, it's clear that he's been the inspiration of many famous modern-day architectural photographers.

I find it interesting that I came across his work the day after I decided to start a project cataloging local historical architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment