Sunday, September 27, 2009

silo1
D:20 Listen to Your Friends

It can be hard to look at the world around you with a fresh perspective. Driving down the interstate, on a stretch of blacktop that has been familiar for over 25 years, has a way of doing that to a person. Especially me.

The same high-desert landscapes. The same rest areas. The same farm silos.

"Hey, those silo's would look cool in black & white."

My longtime friend and driver of this road-trip, Dan, possessed that much-needed perspective that was escaping me. Time was of the essence so I quickly pulled out my camera and started shooting. I had little time to make adjustments, and then the silos faded into the horizon behind us. As our weekend was drawing to close, Dan provided me with a fresh set of eyes, and today's image.

I went back & forth between today's image and the one at the bottom of the post. I couldn't decide if I wanted to show the shot as I took it, or really focus on the silos. In the end I decided to stay with my original instinct. Which image do you prefer?

Manual: Page 175 - Printing Photographs
I've never used this feature and I can't really say that I ever plan to. I have become so accustomed to checking everything on the computer before sending anything to print. I do see many situations where this would be beneficial, just none that I would utilize. Plus, you can't print RAW that way.

Images: Gary Crabbe - I've looked at his work before, but I can't get over his landscape shots. Absolutely a-mazing. I tried at landscape shot at dawn over the weekend, but I just couldn't get it. I can't pinpoint what was missing, I just didn't get the same feeling as when I look at Gary's work. That definitely gives me something to reach for.

silo2

No comments:

Post a Comment