Monday, September 21, 2009

leaves
D:14 It's In the Air

I drove up into the mountains today to scout locations for fall landscapes. The leaves have only just begun to change, barely showing the transition into light-orange hues. Although it was too early to find the deep reds among the trees, the approach of Fall was palpable in the air.

I snagged a few good shots, and you get a double feature for the 2nd day in a row. A friend of mine tagged along, and he was eager to learn. He loves photography, but he feels inept since he only has a point & shoot. I took some time in-between shots to show him that he can take great pictures with any camera. My goal was to get him to think a little more about composition and lighting.

Ha! It's humors me that I was playing the role of the teacher when I am still very much the student. It was a good feeling though, imparting some of my wisdom upon an avid hobbyist.

I was talking with a friend tonight and mentioned the upcoming Help-Portrait project. His girlfriend is an amateur tog so I asked him to pass on the info to her. So far I am the only person trying to organize this event in my town. I am normally not someone who excludes people, but I made the decision not to ask any of the big names in town to participate. I know it sounds childish, but many togs here would only want to use it as a means of self-promotion. That is simply not what the program is about. If any of them approach me about it with sincerity, I will be happy to have them on-board. Damn that sounds pretentious. Oh well.

Manual: Page 62 - Choosing a Shooting Mode
Again, a learning experience. I had no idea my camera displays how many shots the buffer can hold, when I have the shutter-release pressed half-way. I normally shoot in continuous mode, so it's interesting to me that I never noticed that.

Images: Veronique da Silva - I really like her portraits. She does a great job at capturing people in their element, without them looking posed. That is something I've been working on lately. How do all of you put your clients at ease when shooting candid portrait shots?

stream1

No comments:

Post a Comment