Friday, September 18, 2009

arts
D:11 Friday Night Social

The town I live in has a large hill in the middle of the university's campus, named "Red Hill". At the top, there are huge concrete steps, upon which sit equally large Romanesque columns. It's a pretty popular spot for locals, offering sweeping views of the city and surrounding valley.

Tonight there were about a half-dozen people up there. Some were couples, likely looking for a little romantic outing, enjoying the last of the late-summer nights. Others were college students new to the area, looking for something to do.

In an on-going effort to push myself out of my comfort zone, I befriended a group of 3 students and struck up a conversation. We talked, we laughed, we shared a few beers. I answered a stream of photography questions, and I think I left them with a little more knowledge than they came with. We can hope.

Manual: Page 168 - Image Rotation
Remember the days before automatic image rotation? What a pain in the ass. I'm definitely a fan of the continuing techie upgrades our industry gets.

Images:Looked at a local photographers collection today. I will keep them nameless, as to protect the innocent. This tog had a few great shots, but the majority were really run-of-the-mill shots. I don't know what came over me, but I started going through their gallery, over-critiquing EVERYTHING. What was with this sudden attack?

I think sometimes I get in a funk where I'm feeling insecure about my own work, so I criticize other artists. It's petty. It's childish. It's annoying. This is supposed to be a culture of artists that share ideas and help each other grow. So why do I sometimes feel all alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment