Sunday, January 31, 2010

cemetery-winter
D86: Voices

When I awoke this morning, snow was lightly falling and calling my name. I quickly got ready, grabbed some coffee, and headed out the door. I've been wanting to take some shots in the cemetery this winter, but the snow has not been sticking very well.

As I arrived at the cemetery I noticed the snow was cooperating perfectly. I decided to leave the warmth of my truck and do some walking.

There was an overall feeling of warmth and reverence as I wandered up & down paths through this vast resting place. At one point I swear I heard soft voices singing a song in the distance behind me. When I turned around the singing stopped. I can't explain why, but I didn't feel creeped out at all. I had this strange sense of acceptance of this event that I could not explain.

As I continued my journey, I came across a headstone with this written on the back:
cemetery1
I wondered what his story was. What kind of man was he? Why didn't he have any children of his own? Does anyone come to visit his grave?

I hope my own headstone will have more than "uncle" on it. I'd like to think that I will have little ones running around one day, to carry on my legacy.

Some headstones were covered in snow, as if asking for a little privacy. Others stood alone, seemingly watching guard in solitude.

Below I've included a few other shots from this morning.

cemetery2

cemetery3

cemetery4

Manual: Page 122 - Deleting Individual Photographs
Once in a great while I'll get bored between shoots and actually delete my test shots.

Images:David Wittig
I really like David's b&w wedding work.

No comments:

Post a Comment